A career in the hairdressing, barbering and beauty therapy industries promise opportunity, excitement, and diversity.
HITO’s Gateway Programme is a great way for secondary school students to experience first-hand what it’s like to work in these industries.
HITO offer unit standards in hairdressing, barbering and beauty therapy specifically designed for secondary school students. Students gain credits and a real practical understanding of these industries, to help them make informed choices about their future.
HITO Gateway Programmes
HITO offers three work-based programmes and four theory-only programmes.
Students enrolled in work-based programmes spend time in a salon, clinic or barbershop learning practical skills to support the theory workbooks.
|Hairdressing and Beauty||2, 3||20||$475|
|Hairdressing Reduced Credit||2||7||$250|
|Beauty Reduced Credit||3||10||$250|
No work placement is required for these programmes.
How does Gateway Work?
- The school contacts HITO.
- HITO sends a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and enrolment forms to the school. The school signs the forms and returns it to HITO.
- For work-based programmes, the school finds a placement. HITO Sales and Training advisors may be able to assist if they know of an employer seeking a Gateway student.
- HITO sends training materials to the school.
- The student works through the units contained in the workbooks. For work-based programmes, there are a mixture of theory and practical components to complete.
- When a student completes a unit, the Gateway coordinator sends a copy of the assessment to HITO for marking.
- A HITO Industry Marker will mark the units.
- HITO will register the units with NZQA.
- HITO sends the school a “Confirmation of Achievement”
- All units are achieved
- The student is awarded a certificate of achievement by HITO.
Gateway Units – Download the HITO Gateway Programmes – Units document for an overview of the Gateway programmes offered by HITO and their corresponding units.
MOU for Schools – Download the Memorandum of Understanding for the HITO Schools Gateway Programme. You need to fill out one form per school.
Student Enrolment – Download the Student Enrolment Form for the 2022 HITO Schools Gateway Programme. You need to fill out one form per student.
If your student has enjoyed their Gateway programme, an apprenticeship could be their next step. Students can start an apprenticeship straight from school, or any time during the school year, from the age of 16.
Apprenticeships are the smart choice for young people who want a recognised tertiary qualification in the hair and beauty industry.
Find out more about hairdressing, barbering and beauty therapy apprenticeships.
Want to know more about Gateway?
Contact HITO on (04) 499 1180 or email email@example.com for more information.