Turn years of experience into a formal qualification
HITO can help you convert your skills into a Level 4, NZQA-accredited qualification so you can:
- take on apprentices
- reassure your clients they’re in safe hands
- gain an internationally recognised qualification.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be working in a commercial hair salon/beauty therapy clinic/barbershop/nail salon and have:
• at least five years’ relevant work experience (at least seven years if hairdressing) OR
• a recognised international industry qualification OR
• a New Zealand Trade Certificate in Hairdressing, Advanced Trade Certificate or National Certificate in Hairdressing.
Which method is best for me?
Duration: 6 months
Best for: employees, work visa holders with more than 6 months on their visa
Duration: 6-10 weeks
Best for: employers, work visa holders with less than 6 months on their visa, employees wanting to fast-track their application
What does the process involve?
Step 1: Check you’re eligible
Your local HITO Sales and Training Advisor will check you have the required experience/qualifications to enrol.
Step 2: Submit an application form
Your application needs to include:
• an NZQA number or proof of identity
• a copy of your work visa (if applicable)
If you have chosen the Express method, you will send in all your evidence at this stage.
Step 3: Submit your evidence
You will need to collect the following material and send it to us according to a 6 month timeline.
• Certificates and academic transcripts for training you have completed.
• Health and Safety plan using this template.
• Portfolio of your work showing a variety of styles (not required for beauty therapy).
• Video/photos of a wet shave if you are a barber.
Step 4: Professional conversation
An industry assessor will have a conversation with you to check you have the skills and knowledge required for the relevant New Zealand Level 4 qualification.
Step 5: Practical assessment (if required)
You will demonstrate specific skills in front of an assessor in a clinic/barbershop/salon environment.
Beauty therapists with a Level 5 ITEC, CIDESCO, CIBTAC or City & Guilds qualification do not need to sit a practical assessment.
Step 6: Qualification awarded
When you have passed, HITO will issue you one of the following, NZQA-endorsed certificates:
New Zealand Certificate of Commercial Barbering
New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy
New Zealand Certificate in Hairdressing (Professional Stylist)
New Zealand Certificate in Nail Technology