Find your next superstar through the HITO Schools Gateway Programme
HITO offer unit standards in barbering, beauty therapy, and hairdressing specifically created for secondary school students through our Schools Programmes.
Students gain credits and a real practical understanding of barbering, beauty, or hairdressing to help them make informed choices about their future career in our vibrant, creative industries.
- You can ‘try before you buy’. If your student fits in, they’re the perfect choice for an apprentice.
- Students can work on basic tasks like creating displays, helping senior staff, and keeping the workplace clean and tidy, which frees others to perform more profitable tasks.
- You have the chance to train young people and prepare them for a career in barbering, beauty therapy, or hairdressing.
- You get to share your knowledge and passion.
Finding a student
- Ask other schools or businesses in your area. They may know of students looking for placements or be able to give you advice.
- Ask HITO. We have a database of schools interested in the HITO Schools Gateway Programme.
- Students work one day per week in your business. You can take on as many students as you like, but students need guidance and help on what to do and have access to the right equipment.
- The school will work with you to make sure the student is assessed on the skills they learn in the workplace.
- You don’t employ or pay your student. They are there for work experience, and there is no cost to the business – only your time and professional experience is required.
Taking on an apprentice
If you want to take you student on as an apprentice, let HITO, the student, and the school know as soon as possible. We can work with you to sign the student into an apprenticeship and get you set up with all the resources you need. Make sure you have a qualified person to supervise your apprentice and time to train your apprentice – they will need around 20 hours per week working and training in your business. An apprentice can start at any time.