Like so many aspects of normal life, apprentice training is going to look a little different while the country is in lockdown to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Like you, we’re hoping that the temporary closures of your workplaces will not last long. If you had off-job training scheduled during this time, it will be rescheduled as soon as possible when the providers open. If you had assessments booked, they will be rebooked when clinics, barbershops and salons reopen and travel is permitted.
Here are some ways you can continue your learning:
- Hairdressing apprentices can work through the weekly training plans we’ve developed to complement the videos on HITO VUE (https://vue.hito.org.nz/). Contact your Sales and Training Advisor for the plans. If you have forgotten your login, email email@example.com
- Work through the hairdressing case studies we’ll be sending out. Talk through your answers with your trainer on your return to work.
- Beauty apprentices can explore myHITO (http://myhito.nz). If you have forgotten your login, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finish your theory workbooks and assessments for this year. If you don’t have them, or have left them at your workplace, we can email them to you. Email email@example.com
- Practice styling on a mannequin – it will be busy when you return to work, so it’s a great time to nail techniques and timings. Post a photo of your work on the HITO Apprentices Facebook page (join the group if you haven’t already!)
- Research new ideas on the internet and social media – share what you love on the HITO Apprentices Facebook page or tag us on Instagram or Facebook with #nzhito
- Start work on your Apprentice of the Year entry. This year there’ll be categories for Hairdressing, Barbering and Beauty. Each Apprentice of the Year will receive $2,500 towards professional development. Entries can be presented as a written document, video or crafty masterpiece. Remember to include:
- Why you chose to do an apprenticeship
- Two examples of how you’ve motivated yourself to do your best
- Two examples of goals you’ve set yourself and how you’ve achieved them
- Two examples of your exceptional customer service skills
- The most important thing you have learnt so far as an apprentice
- Your future goals and how you plan to achieve them
- Why you should be Hair/Barbering/Beauty Apprentice of the Year
- How you would support HITO and the industry if you won
When The Industry Awards officially launches you’ll be able to download your entry forms and criteria, but until then start planning, get creative and stay safe!
It’s important you stay motivated and keep paying your fees if you’re paying weekly. Your employers are eligible for a wage subsidy from the Government to keep paying you. If you are in financial difficulty, please talk to us about paying lower instalments or deferring payments for a short time. Talk to your Sales and Training Advisor or email firstname.lastname@example.org