Hairdressing Qualification Review – Feedback Required
As the Qualification Developer it is HITO’s role to provide an on-going review of the qualifications, unit standards and Consent and Moderation Requirements.
This is to ensure:
- Qualifications and unit standards remain relevant, current and fit for purpose.
- Each sector’s workforce and skill needs are met by a range of qualifications
HITO recently conducted workshop forums across the country to gain feedback on the current Hairdressing qualifications. It was apparent on completing these sessions that the qualification was not fit for industry needs, and that there were many barriers restricting apprentices from becoming fully qualified.
With this in mind HITO has reviewed the NZ Certificate in Hairdressing (Professional Stylist) L4 qualification and would like to receive feedback from you about the following proposed changes;
- Ensure the qualification is flexible to keep in line with current trends
- Combine skills learnt and assessed to ensure the assessment is more holistic and real for apprentices and learners – focus on services not unit standards
- Reduce the amount of theory delivery and focus on the skill outputs and understanding
- Reduce the length of the qualification to 240 credits from 310
- Combine and reduce the number of unit standards that are currently delivered and assessed
We aim to reach out to industry employers, salon trainers, tertiary providers and learners as part of the consultation process and need your feedback. It is vital for us to reach as many people as possible so if you know we have missed someone, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org