What employers and recruiters can do to assist migrants who need immigration help

The Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) is responsible for protecting people who receive New Zealand immigration advice by licensing immigration advisers.

Employers and recruiters may often be the first point of contact for migrants looking to stay in or relocate to New Zealand for work.

What can you do?

Did you know that only licensed or exempt immigration advisers can legally give New Zealand immigration advice? Exempt people include current New Zealand lawyers and Immigration New Zealand staff.

As an employer or recruiter you can:


What can’t you do?

Employers and recruiters who are not licensed or exempt cannot:

  • Advise a person on what New Zealand visa they are best to apply for or qualify for.
  • Advise a person how best to answer a question in a New Zealand visa application form.
  • Represent a person to Immigration New Zealand.
  • Use knowledge or experience in New Zealand immigration matters in any other way to advise, direct, assist or represent a person in regard to any immigration matter relating to New Zealand, whether directly or indirectly, and whether or not for gain or reward.

Becoming licensed

People are able to become New Zealand licensed immigration advisers following a course of study that can be completed online from anywhere in the world.


The IAA Fact Sheet for Employers can be found here. If you need further information or have any questions, please email info@iaa.govt.nz.

Recommended Posts